Scientist II – NGS Assay Development (m/f/d)
- Post date: July 22, 2021
- Start date: as soon as possible
- This is a staff function position with an unlimited full-time employment contract. The position reports to the Director of NGS Laboratory.
About Ares Genetics
Ares Genetics (ARES) is a Vienna based digital diagnostics company. Founded in 2017, we develop and commercialize next generation solutions for the diagnosis and therapy of infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Our solutions build on ARESdb, our proprietary databases on the genetics of AMR, addressing key limitations of current infectious disease testing.
At Ares Genetics, you will work on the forefront to conquer antibiotic resistance, one of the largest health threats of the 21st century. Our mission as a young, international and dynamic company is to revolutionize infectious disease diagnostics by translating success stories from precision medicine and human genomics to microbial infections. We are an international team of expert scientists embedded in a fast-paced environment with short decision pathways and a flat hierarchy. Located at the Vienna BioCenter Campus, you will be surrounded by a truly inspirational environment. It is one of Europe’s most prominent biotech clusters.
What we expect from you...
Iny our role as NGS Assay scientist you will be responsible for driving further productization of NGS applications for infectious disease diagnostics. This position requires conceptual planning and hands-on lab work alike. You will be responsible for assay development, improvement and validation, ensuring that state-of-the-art methodology is employed to meet high quality expectations of customers. In addition, you will contribute to innovative research projects to solve unmet problems in the field of infectious disease diagnostics.
- Plan, manage and execute R&D projects to establish new solutions for culture free antibiotic resistance testing (AST). In this process you will use diverse next-generation sequencing applications, nanopore sequencing, as well as common molecular biological and microbiological techniques
- Lead validation studies for assays that successfully passed through proof of principle tests
- Optimize existing methods in terms of costs, turnaround time and quality in a structured and timely manner
- Interact and align with various functional roles (bioinformatics, business unit, external stakeholders etc.)
- Mentor and coach junior staff
- Stay on top of state-of-the-art technologies and new developments in the field of clinical infectious disease testing
- Report results to various internal and external stakeholders. You will work in close cooperation with colleagues from the bioinformatics department as well as partners in the diagnostics industry, hospitals and academic research groups
What you bring with you...
- PhD or equivalent professional expertise in microbiology, biotechnology, molecular biology or biochemistry
- Strong scientific expertise in the field of genomics and microbiology with 5+ years professional experience in the diagnostics industry
- Hands-on experience with NGS, RT-PCR, qPCR and related molecular biology methods
- Working knowledge of statistics, design of experiments (DOE), etc.
- Proven success in RuO & IVD assay development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to understand, prepare, and communicate technical scientific information to a wide range of audiences
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and ability to work independently
- Direct experience and full knowledge of product life cycles exemplified by product launch while working under ISO 13485 quality standard
- Business-fluent knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of German is an advantage, but not a requirement
- Knowledge of relevant quality and regulatory requirements, such as ISO 15189, ISO 13485, EU-IVD-R, etc.
Disclaimer: according to Austrian Law, the minimum annual base salary stipulated within the collective agreement for this full-time position is € 44 604. Our salary packages are oriented towards market trends and depending on your relevant professional expertise may be significantly higher.
We look forward to receiving your detailed application. Please include the reference number 1407131 and submit it electronically to email@example.com.
You can find further information on ARES here: